First self made pattern:

first try at gloves no pattern

first try at gloves

second try at gloves

Second try at gloves

I decided that I had, had enough of following a pattern made up by someone else, and decided to make my own. With my complete lack of experience with such practices, it did not go well to begin with; as I just started knitting before finding something I wanted to knit. I figured going along the trend of knitting I should make gloves. Which are a lot harder to do that my first thought, that’s not including the fingers, for gloves with fingers you need to be able to knit in the round. Which is a method of knitting with three needles or a pair of needles joined together, to knit in a circular shape, it is also something I find physically impossible to do.

So I made a pair of ‘gauntlet gloves’ which are gloves without fingers or a palm basically. I knit on a size 10 UK needles, using 5 ridges (2 rows for one ridge) of knit to start with, and 46 stitches along the bottom. There was a lot of trial and error with finding the right amount of stitches to fit comfortably around my wrist, it was particularly awkward finding where the gloves would start and how they would sit (around 3-4 inches about my wrist bone) as they needed to be tight enough not to slip around, but loose enough that it could still move my wrist in comfort. Th other problem was finding the right amount of hight for covering the top of the hand, whilst keeping the sides even and straight. The first attempt was too short.

I tried a few different amounts of stitches, and measured my wrists more times than i thought possible, and various different decreasing and increasing of the middle to secure it around my wrist, and all in vain. The second pair  I ended up, at the centre, decreasing by around 10-15 stitches, which made it tight enough to work, and looked so strange in shape, and the top was tool long. I decided to try it again.

The third pair is not worth mentioning.

third try at gloves

third try at gloves

fourth try at gloves

fourth try at gloves

The fourth, however, went back to having a straight 46 stitches up until the covering of the top of the hand. Which was too long and had a strange bulge in the shape, despite me having only decreased until three remained, to be knit together and finger knitted until long enough to wrap around the middle finger.

The fifth attempt, improved on the shape at the top, but was still nearly and inch too long. So I had another go, and finally produced a good enough shape and size glove that, when the sides were stitched up, fitted around my wrist, and over the top of my hand well enough, slipping on easily and staying on well.

fifth try at gloves

fifth try at gloves

final pair

finished pair

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

Advertisements

Making a bear:

IMG_4630IMG_4633

 

 

 

 

 

When making a bear; I used a pattern from a StitchCraft book. You start by making two arms, legs and torso and a head, then stitch them together to make the four separate pieces, before stuffing and completing the basic body shape, like this. The knitting of the pieces was dull, and following a pattern is apparently not my strong suit. Although the stitching together was alright, trying to keep the stuffing in at the same time was awkward at best.

After finishing that, you add a nose, mouth and eyes. I followed the books advice in giving the bear beads for eyes, however they just look daft, they’re like two little antennae sticking out of its face. I’m going try with just using some black thread or wool later.  IMG_4635

IMG_4638This makes a ‘basic bear’, which you can then style with whichever add ons you like. I think the pattern works, but is time-consuming and repetitive. With my first bear, I somehow ended up with quite a large bear compared to the second and third ones, I think it was the wool type; the white was baby knit, and the cream and brown were double-knit. Overall its better to listen to the book specifically and  the different types of wool are a thing I need to pay attention to and not just find a pattern and use what wool I have to make it, although it is an expensive hobby.IMG_4644

The first bear I made ended up with stitching on, for lack of anything else to put on him. The second I followed the pattern for a bride bear, with a white dress, bow and flowers.The flowers and bow are easy enough to get ahold of from any sewing or craft shop, the dress followed the pattern in the book, which is also rather awkward but works ridiculously well.

You must first knit the bodice, front and back, the knit the skirt by picking up several stitches along the bottom of the bodice, everything is in knit/perl, the only difference between the green dress and the white, is that the white had to be longer according to my trustworthy pattern. When I knitted the third bear, I wanted to try the dress again, specifically since it was strange to try to pick up cast off stitches for me, the apron on the third bear was just a plus to experiment with other decorations. and follows a simple 3 lines, for the top before cutting down stitches to knit/perl, whilst creating an edge with 4 knit stitches at the start and end of each line. The only other thing I made was shoes, which are the most annoying item to knit ever. They are a tiny 28 stitches wide, which gets cut down halfway IMG_4646through its 14 lines. Even as I used size 10 UK needles, it was fiddly work.

The bears bare overall at least some experience, and the pattern could be adapted for other creatures or dolls. The different add ons and extras for each doll is also practice in the different stitches and abbreviations; which this website was a lifesaver for explaining. I like the end product, if only because I made it, but also for its very ‘traditional’ knit style, as everyone who knits has probably, if not should, knit a bear at some point or other. Which is a good thing.IMG_4647IMG_4639